Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Flag Day

Not that I have anything against politically correct Christmas programs that are re-named Winter Programs and include songs about snowmen and reindeer, but I was really relieved to see Evan's class announcement for a Flag Day program. It seemed to me the perfect learning opportunity: the meaning of patriotism and the blessing of being an American.


 


On Monday we were able to see the performance, and it was great! With the first song, Keagan whispered in my ear, "The music makes me really sleepy." To all of those that we attend church, it should not suprise you that by the third song, he was out. Maybe it had something to do with the warm elementary school cafetorium and the daily playdates we have had for almost a week now. But he slept, and he slept through the standing ovation.



We felt certain that after a month of practice and rehearsals Evan must have learned something special about being an American, but when I asked him what he had taken from the unit of study, he eloquently announced, "NOTHING!" 



And for this, I am so glad we decided to remain in Virginia for the last week of school. Because I assure you I could have walked away from the last week of school with a bunch of middle schoolers with no problem. The sacrifices you make for your kids to learn "nothing." 

No comments:

Post a Comment