Wednesday, June 23, 2010

First Impressions

This morning marked my fourth day awaking in the new house. I have spent three solid days in the house unpacking, organizing, cleaning, and decorating so my impressions of Georgia are limited to what I have experienced within my cul-de-sac.

First, we have been invited to church by two people. Both, as different as night and day, invited us to attend the same church. Nothing says welcome to small-town in the South like an invite to church.

Every house on the street has kids. Our kids are the only ones outside - even when it is 95 degrees. The boys say it's hot. We say you won't know hot until you attend soccer camp next week for three hours a day in the blazing sun. Now, go outside and acclimate.

There might be 75 houses in the neighborhood, but we are living in the country. Not just a neighborhood with a few trees, but the COUNTRY. We go to sleep with the sound of frogs croaking and crickets chirping. Keagan asked the first night we arrived, "WHAT IS THAT SOUND?" Animals, Baby, Animals. Thank God it wasn't a wild pig we heard. I am still afraid I will awake to one rooting around in the yard just as Tamera warned. We smoked ribs for dinner tonight. Maybe that will keep them at bay.

We aren't "talking like Georgia people" yet because our entire neighborhood is comprised of military families all originating from the mid-west. However, I had to have a translator for the guy who delivered our household goods on Monday. Perhaps that was due to his missing four of his front teeth, but nevertheless, I didn't catch a thing he said.

Flies. Everywhere. Buzzing. More flies. Keagan became so annoyed today that he killed two by just slapping the air. As they fly around our room as I type, we feel like we should awake Mr. Myagi to kill the one currently annoying us.

Tomorrow we venture out to mingle with the locals. I am fairly certain that this trip into town will include a slushie from Sonic during Happy Hour and browsing the aisles of Lowes. That's about all there is to do here, but we are fairly optimistic about it as long as we don't encounter any wild boar.



No comments:

Post a Comment