Monday, December 7, 2015

Evangelism with a Twist

Tonight Evan told me a locker room story. Here's his version of the events, which I'm sure sits somewhere between the truth and pure exaggeration and probably closer to the exaggeration side of the spectrum.

Evan says a fellow basketball player uses offensive language all of the time, even in front of his mother. The first time he said it at practice within earshot of Evan, he said, "Dude, you can't use the Lord's name in vain." The following day he used the same words, and Evan said, "Dude, don't say things like that." A few days later, the same guy uses the same words, and Evan says, "Hey, I told you not to use those words." Then last week the boys were wrapping up practice, and the guy says something again. Evan punches him in the face and he knocks his head into the lockers. The kid turns to Evan and says, "Dude, what was that for?" and Evan replies, "I've told you to stop talking like that."

Don't think for a second that the irony of this was lost on me. Evan and I had a conversation about hitting others for words and the likelihood that this is not Christ-like behavior, and Evan said, "Well, I got his attention and the bad language stopped. I would say it was pretty effective." Hummm. I had no words.




No comments:

Post a Comment