Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Soccer in the South

Tonight was our first practice with the travel team. Evan has been extremely worried about being accepted by the team; he knew he was the outsider joining the group. Like Team United, this team has been together for three full years, most of them attend the local Christian academy together, and their families have been friends for years. He did not know how open the boys would be to allowing him to play. However, after about half an hour of practice, they slowly began to pass the ball to him. By the end of the practice, he was wrestling in the middle of the field with the rest of the boys. 

I was really impressed with the coaches; it's obvious they are teaching themselves the game, but they had some drills that were challenging. Interestingly, Coach Jarrod said a prayer at the end of practice. I asked Evan what they prayed for and he said, "I don't remember. I was trying to find the other team because I've only heard of people praying right before a game. I was trying to find the team we were about to play."
Later I learned that the coach is a deacon in a local church and prayer is something the team practices every time they meet. Can you even imagine that taking place with a soccer team in Northern Virginia?

Hinesville is looking better every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment