Sunday, August 15, 2010

Eating Plums 101

I surprised the boys at school this week with a visit during lunch. This was due, in part, to my own extreme boredom because lunch in a school cafeteria with hundreds of kids is about the worse thing any adult should endure. This visit, though, was nowhere near what I had envisioned. In fact, it was rather pleasant.

Music played in the background. Kids sat quietly. Kids walked in an orderly fashion.
For some reason, I had middle school lunch in my mind, and the fact that no food was thrown, was reason enough for me to be happy.

I forget, at times, that my kids attend a Title 1 school. This came to light, though, as I watched the boy across the table from me try to eat a plum. He rolled it around in his hands several times trying to figure out his plan of attack. He touched the skin with his finger, tried to peel the skin, and then tried to break it in half. It was obvious this was something he had never done before. I watched as he attempted time and time again to use his spork to pull the meat of the plum off the center stone. He was not successful. When no one else was looking, I whispered, "Hey, just bite into it, honey." He gently replaced the spork, now broken in half, to his tray and took one big bite. With juice running down his chin and a mouth full of fruit, he smiled with success.

It struck me then that this little boy has so much to learn about life. This seven year old boy who must be taught something as inconsequential as to how to eat a plum is also expected to leave second grade knowing how to read as well as my son, a boy that asked me just this week if I would pick up kumquats on my next shopping trip. A boy that has a full library at his disposal in his bedroom.

This is a task that many would find insurmountable, but a task that the teachers and leadership team at our Title I school have been able to achieve several years running. Hence, our reason for enrolling the boys in public school.

Perhaps I would be somewhat dishonest if I didn't disclose that the boys also have complete meltdowns when I pull out dry erase boards, site word flashcards, and workbooks. How can it bring them such distress when it brings me such happiness? This is something that I will never completely understand but another reason the boys are in public school.

Next Friday's school cafeteria lesson: Appropriate methods for consuming salad dressing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment