Thursday, August 5, 2010

First Day of School

For the first time since school year 1997-1998, I am not welcoming a group of students to the first day of school. Which means that I had the time to drive the boys to school, walk them to their classrooms, and help them organize their school supplies like all of the other stay-at-home moms. But they would not have it. 



The big yellow school bus was much more enticing to them. 



After countless reminders to Evan to make sure that Keagan arrived safely to his classroom on B hall with Mrs. Banks who has the blue door next to the boys bathroom, the big bus driver gave the kids assigned seats and separated the boys.

For a split second I contemplated the idea of jumping on the bus and riding with the boys so that I could make sure Keagan arrived safely, but in my mind's eye I caught a grainy image of an Evan expression showing pure horror, and I knew it would never happen. Keagan was embarrassed enough to have to carry his nap mat in front of the big kids. He would have never survived a stunt from his crazed mama.

And that big bus driver was kinda scary. I shudder to think what he might have done.

So I bid farewell from afar and shed a tear or two while walking back to an empty house. The same house I have wanted empty and quiet for the past seven weeks.

Now whatever will I do until 2:45 when that yellow bus returns with my babies? 

No comments:

Post a Comment