Saturday, January 2, 2010

Christmas Postcards and Cows

A good friend of mine from college sent a Christmas postcard last week. Although she has blond hair, that is the only characteristic that she shares with my sister.

The day before we left for Great Wolf I asked Evan to check the mailbox for mail. I knew there was mail because I had just heard the mail truck drive by. He returned empty handed and I asked if there was any mail.

Instead he asked me, "Mom, did Aunt Vikki marry another guy?"

"What??? No, of course not!", I said. "Now go back to the mailbox, take the mail out of the box and bring it to the house."

Evan told me he didn't think he could bring the mail in the house because in the mailbox there was a picture of Aunt Vikki with another man AND she had other kids with her in the picture. He said, "I don't think we need that in our house!"

At this point I am confused, really confused! I ask Evan (for the third time now) to bring the mail to me.

When he returns, he brings the Christmas postcard of our college friends April and Tate and their two children John and Rory Cate! I asked Evan why he thought April was Aunt Vikki and he said, "She has blond hair!"

Evan never ceases to intrigue me because he thinks and processes information in a very different way. How can he be so very smart and not be able to identify his aunt in a Christmas card? Sometimes I worry, really worry, and then he redeems himself with thought provoking questions like, "Why don't cows have different eye colors like people?" And then I know that confusing his aunt with a stranger is nothing compared to the real world problems that can be solved with the knowledge associated with the eye colors of cows!
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/tracker/8920323574995045793-3405720719122817107?l=kaceytoole.blogspot.com


No comments:

Post a Comment