Friday, January 1, 2010

A Week of Firsts

Besides celebrating the first of the new year, we have for the past week experienced several family firsts.

For the first time, I shot a gun. It was just a BB gun, but it was a dangerous looking BB gun. I put my glass of wine down long enough to give it a try, and although I wasn't very accurate in the beginning, I took a cue from my older son and squinted my eyes so that I could align the gun better. It worked, and I shot the target. The target: an ornament on my mother-in-law's Christmas tree. Before anyone becomes alarmed, I must disclose that it was an outdoor Christmas tree.

I don't think you can expect to find me as a regular at the range anytime soon.

For the first time, the boys went deer hunting. On day one Evan and Wes shot a doe. On day two Keagan and Wes shot a buck. Before I say any more, I must admit that I NEVER, ever thought my kids would ever go hunting. And last month when Wes entertained the idea of taking the boys to a deer lease I never actually believed they would see an animal much less kill one. I am not willing to go myself, but I am also not willing to give up eating any meat products. As a result, I refrain from saying much about those that do hunt for their own food. We have a shipment of venison jerkey and summer sausage on its way.

Unfortunately, the hunting experience was so successful, I think this will become a tradition in our holiday schedule.

For the first time in a long while, we spent the entire Christmas holiday together as a family. Wes had two full weeks off for leave while transitioning from his old job to his new temporary job. I don't know that our assignment in Georgia will allow us the opportunity to spend so much time together so we tried to make the most of it.

Here's to another great year full of family firsts!

No comments:

Post a Comment