Thursday, April 21, 2011

Crowns in Heaven

We have a wise and dear friend in Virginia that often tells us how he believes our actions on Earth are rewarded in heaven with crowns. He believes that the Saints will be adorned with crowns that will be a reflection of the good deeds they performed on Earth. I don't know if it’s true, and quite frankly, it is not something that I would ever debate as truth. However, I have adopted this standard of thinking as truth, and I sometimes, when the boys do something that is just extraordinary, I will say, "You will get a crown for that in heaven." The boys know that although they may not receive immediate rewards for good deeds here on Earth, it is something that God sees.

Keagan was given four dum-dums at the barber shop on Tuesday. He ate the first three and saved his favorite for last. When we picked up Evan from soccer, Evan saw the lollipop and asked if he could have it. Keagan did not want to part with the candy - it was blueberry flavored and it was his favorite - but he gave it to Evan.

As soon as Evan popped it in his mouth, Keagan regretted his decision. He started to cry. As much as I tried to tell him that he had done the right thing, he still longed for the candy. Then I said, "Keagan, you will be rewarded in heaven with a crown for that kind act."

This stopped the tears and he began to rethink his decision. That is until Evan piped in. His mouth blue; his tongue painted almost purple. He gave these encouraging words. "Well, good job Keagan. You just got your first crown. You know I have three crowns, right? Keep trying and you might catch up with me."

I have decided to ask our dear, wise friend if he has any ideas for teaching humility to an eight year old boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment