Sunday, April 17, 2011

One Fast White Boy

Keagan is fast; really fast and neither Wes nor I have any idea where this speed came from. Whereas Wes can run and get a pretty good time, he is a big guy and isn't a sprinter. My genes shouldn't even be introduced at this point, but I'll mention that my run to the top of the street just about does me in. It is a mute point, but Keagan's speed has nothing to do with me.

In March he wanted to run track on post, but the age requirements are strict: no one under seven. When I told Keagan he was too young to register for this year's track season, he looked at me with the most serious look and asked, "Did you tell them that I am one fast white boy?"

Needless to say, Keagan can't wait to run a race, and last weekend he decided he would begin training for next spring's season. He began with sprints around the house. He made the lap in 17 seconds. When that was too "easy" for him, he decided he would add a hurdle to the run. Of course, we all know that a good long run and some interspersed hurdles makes for great Saturday night fun. I'm breathing hard just thinking about all the energy needed to do that.

So guess what I found in the backyard on Saturday evening?



I immediately envisioned a big fall and broken bones so I suggested to Keagan that he stick to laps. Just as I told him to put the lawn furniture pillows away, he made his first jump. I swear he touched the clouds. My mouth fell open and I said, "Evan, grab another pillow. We got a gold medal winning hurdler in the makin'!"

It seems our hurdle jumping got a little out of hand, though, because Wednesday morning at 5:56, when I was getting out of the shower and Wes was on his long run, the septic tank alarm began to sound and the red warning light began to flash. I think every family on our street was ready for war with the Tooles. If it isn't the boys having a spittin' contest in the neighbor's yard, we find other ways to endear the neighbors.

We later learned that Keagan accidentally unplugged the septic tank sensor with his Saturday night hurdle jumping. Even though the 10 high stack of pillows frightened me, I told him pillow hurdles are the only materials he is now allowed to jump.

Even if he is one fast white boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment