Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Guests, Soccer, and History 101


This week we are hosting two British soccer players who are instructors at a local soccer camp. I now know the meaning of fag (cigarette) and bread roll (sandwich). This experience has  been so great for my boys; they have had so much fun with the guys. Mark and Dan's experience of traveling through the United States reminds me of my own backpacking trip through Europe that I completed when I was just out of college. They love the United States like I love Europe. They want to live in the United States like I want to live in Europe. 

Last night we went to Savannah and toured River Street. 



One of my favorite things to do in the city is stop at the candy store and pick up pralines. The guys would have nothing to do with candy "made of pure sugar with nuts, is it?"

While in Savannah, we took a Ghost Tour through the old city, the downtown cemetery and one of the haunted buildings located on the river. "Haunted"  is the descriptor used by the company that has haunted ghost tours in every city in in the Southeast region of the United States.


I woke up this morning, though, with a row of bruises made from the fingers of one scared little boy.

As we were leaving, I told the guys that people flock to Savannah for the history and architecture. They were dumbfounded because they attend school and live in buildings older than the history of the United States, must less buildings constructed in the 1800s.
It doesn't matter how many times I make the trip to Savannah, though. I love it more with each visit.


No comments:

Post a Comment