Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Alamo City

Keagan has asked to see The Alamo for the better part of a year, maybe two. He studied it in history in fifth grade and decided he had to see it for himself. 

 

He has slept more than half of this vacation; he is in a constant state of exhaustion and catnaps between every stop. (He's trying to sleep now and it's my job to keep him awake, so he isn't ready to party at 8:00 like he did last night.)  It was ten this morning, and he was already yawning when I began to explain the history of the Alamo. He wasn't taken by my engaging retelling nearly enough for us to have arranged an entire summer vacation around his request. But I was. I was a great listener. 

 

A few blocks away we found San Fernando Cathedral and the final resting spot of Davey Crockett and James Bowie. 

 
 

No trip to San Antonio is complete without a trip down the river. I think the same jokes were told the last time I took the tour in 2005. We had plans to shop at the mall, but yesterday's fire closed it to shoppers.

 

 

We had a traditional Mexican meal in El Mercado and did a bit of window shopping in the outdoor market. Evan decided he would learn to play the ukelele until I told him he had to buy his own instrument. Keagan decided a fidget spinner was the perfect trip souvenir, and when I told him I disagreed, we had to listen to his persuasive arguments for the next half hour. He didn't get one. 

From downtown we made a stop at the Spurs' arena. Priorities, people.

 
 
And now that it is sunny and hot we are headed to the hotel pool.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment