Monday, January 7, 2013

The King's Fast Boy

Evan's first basketball game was tonight. I have commented once or twice that we can assume to win no games since we have no African Americans on the team, our star player is Evan who has only played basketball for one season, and we have three boys that have never dribbled a basketball before. The mantra White Boys Can Jump could not be further from the truth, or at least in the case of this season's U-11 Kings.

I should have known we were in for trouble when Evan took out his Youth Sports issued shorts and asked, "Why do my shorts say Fast Boy, Mama?" I had to reply, "That's East Bay, Baby. The brand name of the shorts." Seriously. He is so smart, it hurts, and yet the team relies upon him, the boy who believed his shorts had been monogrammed, for a win. Unfortunately, he had to sit on the bench the last quarter because he fouled out. That happens when you tackle as you rebound or slide tackle as you run down the court.

After the game, Evan walked into the house and said, "I really wanted to write about my first bball win and put it in the 2013 In a Jar, but I can't really celebrate a loss and five fouls now can I?"

We still have seven more games in the season. I foresee many more losses. At least I don't have to worry with close games, buzzer beaters, and celebrations that include kissing the strange soldier sitting next to me in the stands. Not that this would have ever happened to me, the-mom-who-must-win-at-all-costs. No. Not me.

2 comments:

  1. Is kissing the strange soldier sitting next to you a real concern? ... I feel there must be a story I haven't heard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last year E's team was down by one. With ten seconds Evan shoots and makes it! The crowd goes wild. In all of our celebrations, though, we forgot there was still time on the clock. The other team takes the ball down court and shoots at the buzzer. We all hold our breath. The ball bounces off the rim and in my excitement, I jump up and hug the guy next to me. The guy still won't speak to me - even though I see him on the courts three days a week. True story.

    ReplyDelete