Saturday, January 7, 2012

The Beast of the Bulls


Here's another sports post. I promise we have a life outside of sporting events, albeit very limited. We are currently in the middle of basketball season. Last year, Keagan decided during registration that he didn't want to play, and when the games began in January and he had to watch his brother play while sitting in the bleachers, he regretted his decision for months. By the time December rolled around again, he was more than ready to hit the court.

Today was the Bulls first game. I had serious doubts that we could pull anything off because we have four adults that all try to coach, and at Thursday's practice, the kids spent 15 minutes running in circles while the coaches debated who would be the best player to jump in the opening tip off. I came close to screaming, "Go with the tall kid," but decided I better not when I remembered all the bleacher coaching I would be doing today. As it turns out, they went with the tall kid anyway. Good choice, Coach 1, Coach 2, Coach 3, and Coach 4. 

Despite the lack of ability to make quick decisions with tall kids and tip offs, it was looking very promising this morning when we had more than five players show up to the game and there was no opposing team in sight. As it turns out, we won by forfeit. Most of us had gotten out of bed really early on a Saturday morning,  though, and we didn't plan to go home so easily. We rounded up some random kids in the gym who agreed to scrimmage us, and we were good for our first game. 

The play of the game was Keagan's game winning basket with 23 seconds left on the clock. While the stands went wild with cheers, I'm pretty sure I pulled a Victor Cruz and did some salsa dancing in the bleachers as my victory dance. Of course neither my dance nor Keagan's shot were captured on video. I was busy bleacher coaching after all, but I did get a couple of not-so-great highlights. Highlights that could only be appreciated by the mom and dad of number 11, or as the other parents now refer to as "The Beast."

No comments:

Post a Comment