Thursday, January 26, 2012

He's Not Ready for an Allowance


Evan wants an allowance. I have agreed to $5 a week if he can complete two chores during the week: make his bed daily and take out the trash on trash days.

It's pretty simple, right?

Day #1: Saturday - He didn't make his bed.
It's the first day of the deal. I ignore the mistake to see how long it takes before he remembers he wants an allowance.

Day #2: Sunday - Again, he didn't make his bed.
This is said in the car on the way to church.
"Oh, you mean I have to do chores on the weekend, too? Mom, that was never discussed. I think I should have the weekends off."

Day #3: Monday - He made my bed (to make up for Saturday), and he made his own bed. He checked the trashcan to see if it was full enough to take outside. He's determined to correct the wrong so he can get the money to buy Squinkies. I have no idea what these are, but the product has been located on the web and the webpage has been conveniently saved to my favorites. I think this is a hint.

Day #4: Tuesday - He made my bed but not his own.
He says I pushed him out the door before he could get to it. Ohhhh, but you had enough time to play a quick game of basketball and check the highlights on Sports Center?

Day #5: Wednesday - He put the trash can on the curb, but he didn't put the trash bags in the can. He didn't make his bed.
He wants to know when I am ordering the Squinkies.

Day #6: Thursday - He says, "I have an idea, Mom. Just pay me for the good grades I get. Not every mom has a son that is the top AR points earner AND gets straight As all the time."

I have a son who still expects to get a crisp $5 bill on Friday afternoon. His world will crumble when I refuse to pay him and his dream of a new Squinkie collection are put to rest. You will hear his cries of protest all the way in Texas. I am sure of it. He will say I am unfair. He will say I lied to him.

I will tell him he's smart, he keeps straight As all the time; he didn't keep his end of the deal. What's not to understand?

No comments:

Post a Comment