Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Week of Nothingness

We have had more than a full week off from school, and I can't even begin tell you how I have filled the many endless hours. Although there has been lots of sleep and lots of books, I am at a loss for additional details. With the exception of yesterday's events, the past two weeks have all become a blur for me.

It has been so cold here in Georgia that I have not been able to tolerate any activity outdoors. The thirty degree temps haven't prevented the boys from being outside and playing a rowdy game of football, but I have remained indoors since the snow fall late Christmas Day. Yes, we did have a white Christmas right here in the middle of Low Country.

Yesterday, on our way to post, I explained that warmer temperatures were expected by the end of the week. So warm, in fact, that we would probably be outside in shorts. That simple word. Shorts. Started the boys clapping and squealing with joy all the way to post. All six miles were filled with cheers and clapping. I almost lost my hearing in both ears, but I was so happy with the news myself that I couldn't put an end to the celebration. No doubt the pawn guard thought I had a couple of "special" children because the boys continued to clap all through the gate.

I can't even begin to understand why I once thought a move to Bavaria, Germany or Fort Carson, Colorado would be a good fit for my family.

When we finally made it to the commissary to pick up a few ingredients for the famous Pagel Taco Soup, the boys walked hand-in-hand through the aisles drawing attention to themselves with their wearing full football gear and pulling dares on each other that included various references to potty humor and eating mayonaise sandwiches. Clearly this was not a day of bribes. All the while, I stood in the dairy aisle debating the necessity of real butter in chocolate chip cookies. I decided to give Land of Lakes a try, and after last night's batch, there is no turning back.

I can't even begin to understand why I once thought the absence of real butter would make a difference in the family cookie recipe.

The long afternoon was filled with the dismantling of the Christmas tree. I carefully wrapped every ornament and every Christmas dish because just as soon as I don't, we will have orders to move. All seven of the red and green storage boxes were carried from the attic, filled with Christmas decore, and then stacked nicely at the bottom of the steps to the attic in hopes that they would actually be placed in the attic by the end of January. I didn't even begin to touch the Christmas lights hanging on the roof line.

I can't even begin to understand why I once thought the hanging of Christmas lights would be a good idea for a family whose husband is either away at school or at some death scene just about every waking hour.

And to think this is how my life has transpired the past week - just full of deep thoughts. When I asked Evan what he thought about two full weeks with nothing to do, he said, "There has been a lot of no thinking going on." 

No comments:

Post a Comment