Saturday, December 18, 2010

Christmas Break = Christmas Trip

Christmas Break is here! For two full weeks we have no basketball, no homework, and no schedule to keep. 

Every year we try to take the kids on a small weekend trip prior to Christmas; our intention is to spend time together, experience something new, and just get-a-way from the stress of the holiday. We also use the trip as a family gift; it replaces toys and "things" that no one really needs. It is one of my favorite family traditions. 

This year we chose Saint Augustine, Florida.

Stop #1: Fountain of Youth
I drank the water that bubbles from a rock, and I'm holding fast to the idea of the magical waters keeping me young. At the very least, I am hoping it keeps me from finding any more gray hairs this week.




Stop #2: Castillo
I've seen so many forts in the past four months, that there wasn't much more I would want to know about fortifications. But this one was built by the Spanish and had a cannon firing; we couldn't resist.


Stop #3: Pirates Treasure Museum
This was a wonderful museum about the history of piracy. We shot cannons, raised the Jolly Roger, searched for treasure, and learned about female pirates. It was all very fascinating.






Stop #4: Ripley's Believe It or Not
Boys loved it. It's an hour of my life I will never get back. 



Stop #5: Santa Train Through Nights of Lights
We took the Santa train through the downtown area that is decorated with Christmas lights, and we stopped at Santa's Workshop to make snow and crafts. The evening was topped off with a visit with Santa.






We arrived having no idea that we would have so much fun. It has been a perfect get-a-way.



No comments:

Post a Comment