Saturday, December 18, 2010

A Perfect Fit

A couple of months ago, when I tried to reassure myself that teaching elementary school on a military installation would be a perfect fit for me, I made a list of all of the reasons why teaching the little ones was so great. In that list, I totally forgot that your students like you and are eager to show you how much they like you.

Today I was completely blown away when a little girl used her two dollars to buy me a Christmas gift from the PTA holiday shop. This is the same little girl that will PCS to Germany in January, and she doesn't have one pair of shoes with solid soles. Her poor little feet will be frozen walking around in six inches of snow. This is the same little girl that wears t-shirts with holes and pants a size or two too small.

And she remembered me with a gift.

I am honored.

Again, I was without words when another boy told me he would be moving in the spring when his mom has made plans to separate from the military. He said his mom is saving up to buy a new car (they currently don't have any transportation unless a friend drives the family of six some place), and as a result, the five kids would probably go without gifts this year. When I asked what he thought about this, he told me it was okay because at least they would be together. He said, "It could be worse. My mom could be in Iraq."

Another student used his allowance to buy me a necklace. It has a silver charm in the shape of a snail with tiny pink stones. It is really meant for a seven year old girl, but I will wear it with pride. It is beautiful in my eyes.

These past few months have made me realize that military kids are the absolute best kids. They live often in difficult situations and yet they almost always have the most generous hearts and the best outlook on life.

No comments:

Post a Comment