Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Peach Orchards and Low Country Cookin'

We are trading opera for country music,
We are swapping vineyards for peach orchards,
We are, with some hesitation, saying good-bye to European history and hello to the home of the Confederacy, and
We are giving up wine (well, Venetian wine) and home-made pasta for sweet tea and low country cookin'.

Yes, we chose Georgia. I know you're shocked because I know most people assumed we would go with Germany. However, neither of us looked forward to downsizing our house to fit into a 1200 square foot apartment, ordering internet service with Duetch Telecom (my whole body convulses with just the thought of the service), or living thousands of miles from a Target.

I was in complete support of the move to Fort Stewart, Georgia because it provides year around warm weather, quick access to the beach, a housing market that we can afford, and a short term stint living in the deep South. That was until I went to the bank today. I ran into a woman, an Army spouse, that I had never met before. The inevitable PCS move was broached and when I said, with a smile on my face I might add, that we were moving to Hinesville, Georgia, she said without any hesitation, "Oh I hated that place! You won't get out of there fast enough."

And I said in a very polite way, "Please don't tell me that. I really want to make this move a good one." And she proceeded to say, "No, I am telling you. It is that bad. Did you know the town doesn't even have a Target?"

It was at this point that I was wondering if I should serve Shock Top or a bottle of port when I broke the news to Wes that I wanted to change my mind...again.

However, I am convinced that I can be happy anywhere; I will be happier if there is a Target within a five minute drive and if we find a house with a pool. Did I mention the humidity is really uncomfortable there?

Well, look at me all worked up about a Target and a pool when we are still dependent on the Army to get us there. I need to remember what happened to us just last week and know that it can all change again next week. Until then I will welcome the thought of peach orchards and low country cookin'.
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/tracker/8920323574995045793-4780890145736141318?l=kaceytoole.blogspot.com



No comments:

Post a Comment