Thursday, November 12, 2009

No Turkey This Thanksgiving

This is Evan's turkey. 


His task for the week was to disguise his turkey so that it is not eaten for Thanksgiving dinner. Evan first planned to create a turkey soldier, but when he couldn't find camouflage in the house (yes, I realize Wes is in the Army and that camo should be found in every closet, but for some reason it was never spotted by Evan). His next plan was the pirate, and because we have left-over eye patches from last year's pirate birthday party, it seemed like a good idea to me. But do you know how hard it is for a seven year old to design a costume from a "variety of materials" that fits a paper turkey? Really absurd. And let me say again REALLY ABSURD.

Once we got the turkey dressed, we designed a background for the turkey. Evan drew a pier, cut out a little brown pirate ship, and designed the plan to use sand paper for the sand of the beach. After cutting strips, we decided that didn't look good. So at the afternoon hour of 5:45 when the sun should still be shining but it is as black as midnight I drove to Dolphin Beach to collect sand. I could see nothing and all I could do was pray that I didn't scoop up a cup of sand that included goose poop. Luckily I didn't or thought I didn't, but when I got it home, Keagan instantly asked, "What's that horrible smell?" Oh, let the halls of first grade reek of goose poop! Revenge is sweet.

I feel certain that this activity will be listed on Evan's differentiated instruction plan, and I am sure it is found under the sub-heading "creativity and ingenuity". However, I feel CRAP would be the better title. Just because it is cute doesn't mean that it has any academic merit. This is what I wanted to scream when I supervised Evan cutting boots from black plastic flags, when I searched the house high and low for red material for the pirate shirt, when I persuaded Evan that euro coins (because Lord knows we have no use for them now) would work for treasure as well as pennies that can actually be spent in the United States, when I scrubbed the sand permanently glued to the kitchen island, when we promised Keagan his blue knight's spear would return in about one week, and when I argued that no one will tell that the navy pirate hair isn't really black.

But alas it is done. Evan says his is the best, and I guess that is a good thing. God, forbid, we send a turkey to school that is not fully outfitted with a treasure chest, ship, pier, and buried gold coins.
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/tracker/8920323574995045793-4361882980472002376?l=kaceytoole.blogspot.com



No comments:

Post a Comment