Wednesday, October 14, 2009

A Day in the Life of a Teacher

1. Begin the day answering a string of emails that were sent while I was carrying the boys to swim, listening to chapters three and four of Evan's AR book, and folding laundry last night. All emails were pertaining to an irrate grandmother who was upset about multiple tardies to fourth block, a class in which I do not even have Granny's student.

2. Picture day. Came to school with hair not meant to have been photographed. Three weeks overdue for a cut because I spend every Saturday on the sidelines cheering for homeruns, touchdowns, and goals.

3. Open attendance to find one of my students has been assigned out of school suspension. Spend five minutes trying to figure out what such a nice guy did to get four days of OSS.

4. Listen to a class of 32 kids complain that the CRITICALTHINKING exercise is too hard. Try to explain that critical thinking means you must think. Students complain that they just can't do that. I can't help but think that this is a task my own son craves and is never provided.

5. Two girls called to office to settle a "dispute." Girls return an hour later to tell me that they have been assigned in school suspension. I don't even ask why because I am sure it is a he-said, she-said scenario that isn't worth repeating and I don't have the patience to listen to it.

6. Run into principal in the hallway. As a side bar she mentions that one of my students was born addicted to crack. Child's mother is not really the mother. Girl is adopted. I walk away confused...

7. I find a set of notes taken in class on integers with sketches of a boy shooting himself in the head. Referral to guidance is a must but no guidance counselors are available today. Hum....

8. Decide dosage of sinus medication is a necessity because I feel like I have two black eyes and my head is pounding.

9. On my way back from guidance I break up a fight between two boys. Must now write a discipline referral. Meanwhile I must find someone to begin my next class because I have 26 students entering my classroom.

10. I must keep my ED, bipolar kid that weighs 200 pounds from attacking the sweet kid with good intentions that talks too much. You can't help but feel sorry for the bully. He has moved four times in 12 months, his dad just went to prison for murder, and he is 13 working on a third grade level.

I walk in the door and Wes says, "So how was work?" I tell him I need a nap.

Did I mention arm farts? Yes, I am just as surprised as you that this should be mentioned on my blog. This morning we all woke up to Evan's arm farts. It seems that he practiced it for hours last night when he was supposed to be asleep and he couldn't wait to show us all this morning. So in the wee hours, way before the sun came up, we awoke to the sounds of flatulence. Good times, good times....

No comments:

Post a Comment