Sunday, May 15, 2011

District Soccer Tournament

The U-10 Gator team traveled to Warner Robins this weekend to play in the district rec tourney. For a month or so, we lived with the assumption that we had earned a bye into the state tourney and wouldn't have to go to district. Unfortunately, we are in the same district with the #2 team in the state. We went to this weekend's tourney hoping to get the wild card spot. We didn't and now spring season is over for us. However, we played some really great soccer, and my sideline cheers only garnered one evil look. That's success for me because I yelled, "PLAY WIDE, EVAN" so many times in the second game that I awoke myself and both boys Saturday night in our hotel room yelling it in my sleep. No joke. Once we were all awake at the late, late hour of 9:50, Evan said, "I was dreaming about the same thing, Mama!"

During the third game, Keagan met a boy from the opposing team and the two took off for an adjacent field to kick the ball around. I had never heard of the opposing team's town, but it was obviously not near any major metroplex. When I heard the opposing coach yell something that resembled what we hear in the deep woods of East Texas, I knew we were dealing with the kin of Jimmy Carter. After playing with this other boy, Keagan came back to my seat to ask, "Mom, do you think that kid goes to speech?" Because Keagan is brutally honest, (He tells me every day that my fat on my legs or arms jiggles to

o much.) I wondered if he had made fun of the boy, and when I questioned him, he said, "That boy can't talk right." And I had to explain that the boy didn't have a speech impediment. He had a Georgian accent.

He was taken by the native tongue and tried to talk like a "Georgia person" all afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment