Friday, July 9, 2010

Soccer Camp

Every summer we participate in some kind of soccer camp. As soon as I learned we were headed to Georgia, I started looking for soccer related clubs and programs, and I found very few options.

Unless we lived in Atlanta.

And we don't. In fact, it is five hours away. Too far for even this crazed soccer mom to drive.

We did find, however, lots of baseball.

As you know, the boys have little interest in baseball, and this has proven enigmatic with the locals. They all look at us in bewilderment when I tell them the boys play soccer, and they try to soften their "them crazy yankee kids" looks with phrases full of apologies like, "Hum, now, boys. It won't take long 'for you git the itch to play baseball."

After countless emails to the local rec department (yes, despite my earlier encounters with the locals' refusal to incorporate email communication in their business plans, a few of the local organizations do have email addresses), I found a skills based soccer camp coached by one of the local high school coaches. I had my doubts. I wasn't quite sure anyone in the local area actually knew the game of soccer, much less was able to coach it.

As it turns out, the camp was an incredible opportunity for the boys to show the coach, who also directs a local soccer league, what they were able to do on the field. By the end of the first day, both boys were invited to join the town's travel soccer team. At the end of the week, I decided the coach was worthy of my soccer stars, and I registered them with his league.

Here's to the newest members of the Gators U-8 and U-10 travel teams!























I have already been told that the other parents are leary of anyone from the "outside" joining the Gators. I am hoping our common love for the game of soccer will unite us, and the family of "yankees from up north" will be accepted.

If not, there's always baseball.

No comments:

Post a Comment