Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Cold Blooded Adventures

We found the city library, their calendar of weekly, if not daily, events, and we decided this might be something more like what we are used to in Virginia. We attended our first program today, Cold Blooded Adventures, an educational program presented by a local reptile sanctuary. I chose a seat away from the main floor, but when the tupperware boxes filled with lizards and pillowcases stuffed with snakes made their entrances, I still began to breathe short shallow breaths. I knew then that there is something that I detest about having boys...their fascination for animals that I feel the need to stab and kill upon sight.

And while I am on topic of boys and annoying behaviors, let me briefly refer to their incessant need to wrestle. At all times. In all places. Even First Baptist at Lyons. Where we were guests. You'll notice the carpet burns on Keagan's face. That is due to a drop that Evan did one day when I went out for a run.

While Mr. Dundee made his rounds with the animals, I did just fine with the turtle and the tortoise. I was even okay with the giant lizards, but when the pythons came out, I almost ran. Then the presenter asked me if I wanted to pet Taylor Swift, his seven foot python; he asked this as the snake began to curl its tail and head around the man's arm and leg. One woman exclaimed, "Oh, how beautiful is that!" And I thought I was going to throw up. Seriously throw up.

I leaned as far away from the animal as my back would allow and shook my head with a fierce no. There was no way I was going to touch anything. A nice contradiction to Evan who was so excited with the presentation that he jumped up and down when the first lizard made its appearance. I was so concerned with finding the nearest exit that I didn't see his expression when the first python made its way out of his pillowcase, but he later told me it was the best thing ever. 

The next presenter is a magician, much more my speed, as long as there are no tupperware boxes or pillowcases.



No comments:

Post a Comment