Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Keagan Learns to Read

Word Walls all over the Living Room Walls

Dolch Site Word Flashcards

Bob Books - Levels 1 AND 2

Leap Frog DVD and Hooked on Phonics Youtube videos

I had tried it all, and Keagan didn't respond well to learning to read. Although he desired to know how to read, he was not interested in applying himself to the arduous task of learning how to read. With Wes and Evan out of the house on Sunday afternoon, I pulled out a book I randomly selected at Borders and decided Keagan would read.

As my daddy would say, "come hell or high water", he was going to kindergarten in Georgia knowing how to read. I was ready to fight to make sure that happened.

I couldn't believe my sweet little boy's voice when he was able, having never seen or heard the book before, to read the story. I was even more surprised that no battle was required.

Convinced this was just a fluke, I had him read it again the following night. This time he had to read it out of order, with random pages selected, so that he was reading it out of context (and hence not memorizing the text). And, again, he was able to read the book.

Maybe he felt more comfortable with Evan out of the house.

Maybe he wanted to read something brand new - something that had never been in Evan's hands.

Maybe it was timing.

Whatever, the reason, I found success with The Big Red Blanket, and we are going back for more of the "I'm Going to Read" series.

No comments:

Post a Comment