Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inauguration Day

Evan: "Why isn't Dr. Gates at the inauguration?"
Me: "He has been taken to a safe place in case there is an emergency during the inauguration."
Evan: "What kind of emergency?"
Me: "Well some people do not like Obama because he is black. Some people might try to hurt him today during the ceremony."
Evan: "You mean they will try to kill him."
Me: "It is possible."

Time elapse of thirty minutes. We are now watching the inauguration ceremony on TV.

Evan: "When will Obama be killed?"
Me: "What!?"
Evan: "You said Obama will be shot during the ceremony. When will that happen? I don't want to miss that part."
Me: "It is not going to happen; it is only a possibility."
Evan: "I am going downstairs to play. Call me if the bad guys come out with guns or something."

I tried so hard to explain to the kids the importance of today's event. I explained why it is important for Americans to have a black leader. I thought that I had made my points with clarity, and yet this is not what caught Evan's attention. Oh well, he is only six.

No comments:

Post a Comment