Monday, January 19, 2009

We Must Have a Plan

As you all know Wes's job requires him to prepare for the worst. He must always have a contingency plan should events not go as planned. This evening he called and requested that I do the following:
1) Fill the car with gas
2) Pack a bag with essential clothing items
3) Pack a day's supply of food/water.
He assured me that there is no reason for me to worry; he thinks it would be wise of me considering tomorrow's events and our proximity to the city. So how should I respond to such a request made of me at 2030?

My first response is, "What does he know that I don't?" His job, for the most part, is a big secret. I rarely have any idea where he is or what he is doing. (For instance, I have no idea where he is tonight or where he will be in the coming days.) Five years ago, this bothered me. Today I rarely think twice about it. We call it life. However, tonight I am wondering what intel he has received, and I think with good reason after tonight's phone call.

My second response is, "Yeah, right. The boys are asleep. There is no way I am waking them up to fill the car with gas. I will take my chances."

My third response is, "How sad! Your job requires you to plan for disaster." I can't imagine always planning for the worst case scenario: death, bombings, snipers, mass evacuations...How depressing!

My decision: I have reasoned that should something occur, I can grab food, clothes, and water within ten minutes. That ten minutes shouldn't put me too far behind in I-95 southbound traffic. However, I will make sure that we are all dressed with teeth brushed before 10:00 tomorrow morning, even though it is a holiday, just in case
.

No comments:

Post a Comment