Thursday, May 9, 2019

The World is His

Evan didn’t talk until he was almost three. He was diagnosed with apraxia at 21 months, and we were warned he might not be able to ever communicate with us verbally. His first word was a German word and he called me by my first name until he was four. He communicated with us for two years primarily in baby sign and used two signs exclusively: milk and more. He cried for the first time at eight months. No joke. 


His quirks in language development have actually been something I’ve found quite interesting. I would love to find the therapist who misdiagnosed him. I would like to share with her that he has a 32 on the ACT in reading / 30 in language and share with her he was inducted into the Spanish National Honor Society tonight. He was never apraxic, but he also didn’t follow any “normal” path in learning to communicate. 


Now look at him. The world is his! 











No comments:

Post a Comment