Friday, September 21, 2012

Number 23

It's not his jersey number. Nor is it his favorite athlete's number. It is Evan's student number. The number that  he is supposed to write on the top of every worksheet, every project, every test, every homework packet. The elusive 23 is often forgotten. When it is forgotten, Evan is "marked."

I tried to reason that the number policy helps the teacher stay organized, makes it easier to enter grades in the grade book, and helps her easily identify who has missing work.

Evan did not buy into my excuses.

He believes the teacher should identify him with his name; not a number. He tells me, "I am Evan; not #23."

How can I argue with that? He is so much wiser than I give him credit.

So I say. You are right. It is a ridiculous policy that undermines a student's ability to identify with self.

Evan asks if it would be possible to rebel and refuse to use his number.

I say. No, you will do it because your teacher said you should.

I realize I have just undermined my own son's own ability to find justice in the unjust. I have encouraged passiveness - a trait I abhor.

Who is at greater fault?

2 comments:

  1. I think it is more a lessen in picking your battles ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. maybe he can compromise..put no. 23 - Evan Toole..would that be a rule breaker..the teacher would have what she wants..and Evan would feel he isn't just a number but Evan..could work..what do you think??

    ReplyDelete