Saturday, June 15, 2024

The Icefields Parkway

What a long day! But such a beautiful adventure! Donned as the “most beautiful drive in the world” we took The Icelands Parkway from Banff to Jasper. It was a long car ride with stops every hour - each stop showcasing something spectacular. 

Stop #1 Peyto Lake - We are currently under a snow storm watch and it started to flurry just as we got to this look out point. But that blue! This was a half hour hike, and a good one to start with so we could warm up. 





Stop #2 Mistaya Canyon - The clouds began to clear by the time we made it here. The sun wasn’t quite out but I began to have hope we would see sun instead of snow. This was my favorite stop. The steep climb back to the car park was totally worth it!









We met some fellow Middle Tennesseans on this hike, too.



Stop  #3 Athabasca Glacier
This stop allows you to pay $125 to stand on a glacier. I’ve walked on ice, and I have the scar on my face to prove it. No way I’m paying that! 

Fun fact! The wind blowing off of a glacier makes it feel colder. I had on three layers and I was still cold. The sun was hidden and the snow wanted to fall. 



Stop #4 Sunwapta Falls
The Upper Falls were near the car park, but we took a nice little hike to lower falls. This trail reminded me a lot of the Dunbar Cave trail back at home because of the packed mud path with the exposed tree trunks. The fall is about 60 feet but the melting snow feeds it so it was impressive.







Stop #5 Athabasca Falls
I loved this stop because the sedimentary rock layers were so prevalent. Or maybe it was the second hand smoke from the kids’ joint. Either way, I liked this stop. This was a powerful waterfall but not very tall. 







Stop #6 Jasper
We had lunch at Maligne Canyon and spotted several elk and deer on the road side. 



Stop #7 Horseshoe Lake
The water temp was 34 degrees and the locals were jumping in and swimming! Lord have mercy. I had hypothermia just watching them. The skies were clear and the sun was shining but it was not warmer than 60 degrees. 



Stop #8 Herbert Lake
At this point I’m pretty much laked, waterfalls, and canyoned out. At some point, you just begin to ask how many more can there be? At least one more day’s worth! 





After 12 hours, we arrived back in Canmore, our home base for the week. I’m going to bed tonight hoping the overnight snow does not stick. I still have another lake, waterfall and canyon to see!

No comments:

Post a Comment