Tuesday, June 11, 2024

Hiking Day 1

After setting at 9:56 last night, the sun was up at 0527. The forecast did not predict such warm weather, but we welcome the sun - even at 0530! In town it is hot; on the shaded trails it is cool. 

We got an early start with our first hike to Grassi Lakes. The first mile was straight uphill on a gravel path. Six days a week at the gym prepared me for this. 





The water color is an effect achieved when the sun reflects off of tiny pieces of rock sediment in the water.

The next hike on Three Sisters Trail was far less crowded and followed a creek to a small waterfall. This trail reminded me of the trails behind Bleidorn that I hiked twice a day the summer I was pregnant with Evan. We walked miles that summer!



About half way up, we spotted The Three Sisters in the distance: Big Sister, Middle Sister, Little Sister.



It was now time to grab lunch, so we headed back to town to eat at a restaurant that brews their own beers and makes their own sodas. The food was great; the raspberry beer was even better. 

After lunch we took a trail, not a hike but a leisurely walk, along Bow River. I was really hoping I’d see the elk that had a calf last week - even if the park rangers say I don’t want to see an elk that just calved. But it didn’t happen. 





Less than 10 miles of trails, and my feet are already sore. This does not bode well for a week of hiking. But we are resting now waiting out a thunderstorm. 

As soon as today’s afternoon storm passed, we took a three mile hike through marshland on Policeman’s Creek Boardwalk. 



I was hoping to spot an animal maybe out eating after the rain, but no luck. If I leave this trip and only see chipmunks and owls - animals I see in my backyard - I’m going to be very disappointed. 

Tomorrow we have an early start for what should be the highlight of the week. 


No comments:

Post a Comment