Sunday, January 25, 2015

The Digital Age

Tonight Keagan and I read a book about the life of George Washington. The book was quite dated and referenced card catalogues and encyclopedias. Keagan asked me if I used a card catalogue when I was in school and I told him I did. He seemed impressed that there was a card for every book in the library. 

For the second time in maybe two weeks time I also tried to explain the use of an encyclopedia. Then he asked how a book (an encyclopedia) could hold all of the information in the world. I tried to explain it was a set of books organized alphabetically, and when he still looked at me with a perplexed look on his face, I assured him I would show him the set at Oma's house the next time we are in Texas. He then said, "Are you trying to tell me an encyclopedia is a mini-Google?" 

"Yes! I explained excitedly! That's it!"

"Well, tell Oma to keep those encyclopedia books close because her internet never works."

No comments:

Post a Comment