Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Silent Family Tree

Two weeks ago I screamed so loud at the football game that I lost my voice. I went two full school days without talking above a whisper, and I then spent another weekend trying to speak as little as possible so that I would be prepared for some full-on playground yells of "Mrs. Toole's class Line Up!"

Now that I think about it, I just might have a silent day tomorrow, too, because although I cheered when Keagan made TWO tackles in the back field, and I jumped and squealed when Evan ran right up the middle for a touchdown, I spent a good portion of the evening reminding the refs of their job. The job description does not include taking a phone call during 4th and 2, and if he hadn't taken that phone call or the call after that or the call after that, he would have seen the opposing team grab my baby's face mask. Twice.

I just might have had a few things to say about that.

Two weeks ago when I was in the middle of one of those silent nights, the phone rang. Evan answered the phone. This is what transpired.

E: Hello.
(Voice on the other end.): Who this?
E: Evan
V: Who?
E: Evan. Who's this?
V: What do you mean??? This is your grandma. Who this?
E: It's Evan..... Oma????...... Is that you?
And the phone went dead.

Evan looked at me with the strangest look in his eyes, and asked, "Since when did I get a black grandma?"



No comments:

Post a Comment