Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Red, White and Blue

I tell everyone I see that I absolutely love living here in Georgia for one reason: the beach. This one reason is enough to mask the reality of living in a small military town. Yesterday we spent the holiday at St. Simons and after countless trips to the island, it still takes my breath away. I wonder if I lived there permanently if I would find the huge live oak trees and Spanish moss ordinary.

It's true that we could've stayed at Fort Stewart for the holiday (the military installation with the biggest and best 4th of July celebration) and joined the 50,000people who were there to see the Zac Brown Band, but we decided it was just too crowded, too many people, to actually be fun. So to escape the crowds we hit the beach and joined about 50,000 other people with the same idea of fun: boogey boards, a picnic lunch, and burying your big brother in the sand.

This year we celebrated with our own red, white and blue: our red cheeks from the sun, the white sand in our toes, and the clear blue sky.

Happy 4th of July!

No comments:

Post a Comment