Saturday, September 4, 2010

Astronaut in the Works

About fourteen months ago we took the boys to Disney World for our annual family vacation. After a week of theme parks, I vowed to not return. The heat. The crowds. The long lines. The stupid mouse ears. It was all just too much for me.

When Wes learned he was going to deploy, we decided we needed to take one last family vacation during his block leave. We toyed with all kinds of ideas, but ultimately, the boys decided Disney was the place to go. I tried everything to dissuade them and despite my gentle reminders of sweaty people, crying toddlers, impatient Europeans, and the photography crazy Japanese, it didn't work. And so after saying I would never return, I am here. At Disney. In the heat. With the crowds. With the long lines. Just short of going crazy. Certain that if I catch a whiff of another sweaty human, I might just fall over the edge.

But if there has been a highlight or a moment that has made the trip worthwhile, it was our morning spent at Magic Kingdom riding Space Mountain. Last year the ride was closed due to renovation. Keagan had no idea what to expect when we hopped on it first thing this morning, and I think he was really shaken up after his first ride. He had no intentions of riding it again, and yet, when the three of us decided we were going to get right back in line for it, he ultimately decided to ride, too. While in line the second time he told us, "I decided that if I'm gonna be a astronaut, then I just gotta get use to flyin' in the dark. Because space is dark and cold. It is bumpy and scary. This ride will get me ready for my time in space."

And this simple statement almost brought tears to my eyes.

Praise the Sweet Baby Jesus in the Manger, my baby wants to be an astronaut! For years he has said he wants to be a Nascar driver, and this thought has disturbed me so much that I have been unable to articulate it until now.

Now that he no longer aspires to drive fast cars for a living.

For this reason, I have decided the heat, the long lines, and the crowds of Disney World are totally worth it! Afterall, the rides of Mission to Mars, Space Mountain, and Astro Orbiter have opened the eyes of my little boy to the possibility of the usefulness of speed somewhere other than on a track.


No comments:

Post a Comment