Friday, February 12, 2010

Mrs. Wilkes

I possibly ate the best meal of my life today. All of the Savannah guide books (and I've a collection of them now) starred Mrs. Wilkes Restaurant as a must-eat restaurant. It is safe to assume this was on my list of weekend priorities, right under "find a new house." I thought today was the perfect day to make the trip into downtown Savannah because it was raining and cold. I felt certain we would be the only ones waiting for a seat.

But that was not the case. We waited for almost an hour, and half of that was outside in the rain. But then we sat down at the table with two other families and in front of so much food that I almost felt guilty.

Until my first bite. Cheese grits. I was in heaven. Second bite. Mashed potatoes with fresh cream. I could hear the angels in heaven sing. Third bite. Fried chicken. I think the skies parted with hallelujahs. It was that good.


I must say that the lack of a near-by Target is totally forgotten with the comfort of Mrs. Wilkes Restaurant within a half hour's drive. We will be back again. Until then I will need to run a marathon to burn off today's calories.

No comments:

Post a Comment