Sunday, December 28, 2008

Flying

On Friday the boys and I flew to Texas to spend the week with my family. We made the drive to Reagan without incident. We found parking near the gate. Everything seemed to be going smoothly until it came time to get in line with "bag check." I was horrified to be told that I owed $75 to fly with bags. I tried to explain that none were over weight and that there were three people in our party. Thus, we were not exceeding the maximum number of bags, but the lady told me repeatedly that it did not matter. I was to pay the $75 for my four bags if I wanted to get home for Christmas. After a thousand dollars on the actual tickets and a couple of hundred dollars to park the car in the parking lot, I should not think twice about paying for bags. However, I am appalled with the way corporate America attempts to nickel and dime the common person with these outrageous fees.

The boys and I pre-boarded. We were all settled with drinks that we bought at the gate, sandwiches that I made at home, and books to keep us occupied. That is when I was pleasantly approached by a flight attendant asking if we were a military family. When I responded in the affirmative, she quickly doled out free chips and cookies for all of us. Her response, "We just love you guys and want to show you how much we appreciate you."

I took the chips, smiled a gracious smile, and thanked her several times over for her thoughtfulness. However, next time I think we will fly Southwest. They don't give away chips to military families, but they do show their appreciation by allowing all bags to fly for free.

No comments:

Post a Comment