Saturday, August 17, 2024

Art and Crafts

My friend Tina and I attended an art class Saturday night in Nash in the up and coming neighborhood of Wedgewood-Houston. Oh to be 25 again! I told Evan if I can’t live here, I think you should. I loved it! And honestly dinner in the renovated train depot downtown and the super cool venue for the class were the highlights of the evening. 

We made lamps. Yes, lamps. Mine is the most expensive lamp to make its way to Goodwill. 



We started by choosing design preferences and then glass tiles. I choose a design, but the tiles necessary to make it weren’t available. 



So I had to start from ground zero and redesign. It was already 7:30 and I was ready for bed. The teacher was a bit quirky and I was quickly losing interest in a state of the art 1970s design lamp. 



So I took this blank canvas and went to town making and gluing glass tiled flowers.



I rolled it in crushed crystals, got reprimanded for not following directions, and then was asked to join a group of classmates to make a light show with my lamp. WTH! I left with the lamp, crushed crystals on my clothes, and craft glue all over my fingers. Oh but the memories! We will laugh about this one day; much like we do with the glass blowing class we took five years ago. Tina and I have had some adventures, but this one won’t be repeated.



My lamp might not look good but at least I do. An hour later the first blister from the poison sumac I encountered 24 hours prior made its way to the surface of my skin. While I care not to relive the lamp class, my skin wishes it could. 

Here’s to more memories with Tina and to hiring landscapers to weed the flowerbeds. 


No comments:

Post a Comment