Friday, August 13, 2021

Move In Day

Today was the long awaited college move-in day. While I’ve been prepping for this days for months, Evan decided to finally pack his clothes last night at 8:00. When we started unpacking today, I found a pair of Keagan’s shoes and a child sized jersey. He also packed four swim trunks and only six pairs of underwear. Clearly, there was little thought placed with what went in the bag. 



He said good-bye to Keagan at 0630. He didn’t shed a tear and was relieved to have the hardest good-bye out of the way first.  He said, “If I didn’t cry saying good-bye to Keagan then I think I can go the full day with no tears.” 



Despite his procrastination with packing, he has been mentally ready to move for months! The past few weeks he’s been in contact with dozens of guys that he has “met” through the dorm chat, social media, rush, campus ministries, and the canoe trip. He left home with an open mind (as open minded as Evan can be), a true willingness to meet as many people as possible, and an excitement for the adventure ahead. 

Our check in time was 11:00. By 2:30, we had the carpet down, the bed made, and the clothes unpacked. I cringed when I saw Evan stuff clothes in his drawers with no organizational method. He said, “I’m living here, Mom. You don’t have to worry about it any more.”





We had a late lunch at a restaurant on the river and



 took Wes on a short walking tour of campus. 





There were no tears, but I’m saddened to say good-bye to my Orange Theory partner, the one I “share a brain” with, and my Mavericks game watching partner. He will be home in three weeks. I’m already planning his favorite meal, looking forward to going to the gym with him, and excited to watch a game with him. 


No comments:

Post a Comment