Saturday, January 19, 2019

It Was Over Too Soon


And just like that our season is over. We were defeated in the first round of playoffs by a team we have beaten twice this year. I thought for sure another losing season would mean Keagan would decide to play soccer exclusively, but he’s told everybody he plans to play high school basketball next year.

Three years ago an agility trainer told me Keagan was a much stronger basketball player than soccer. He told me he was more comfortable with a basketball in his hands than a soccer ball at his feet. I thought he was crazy. Last night, we went to a girls’ game and a stranger from an opposing team approached me to tell me how great of a ball player Keagan is. She said, “Please tell me I get to see him play with the high school team next year.”  

This decision saddens me and excites me at the same time. AAU tryouts are next month. We are still driving to Nashville but now for basketball instead of soccer. I can't say that I am surprised at all with his decision. It just seems so ironic to me that my big kid with natural talent in basketball chose soccer, and my smaller, more agile kid with a natural talent in soccer chose basketball. 



The above picture speaks volumes about our year. I told Keagan today that if he planned to play beyond middle school, then he had to abstain from "coaching" his teammates. There is no room for coaching a team when you are playing for someone that knows what they are doing. I told him he needed to work on his game and not the game plan. I'm not sure he agreed with me, but he agreed to at least consider my advice. Please, Lord, let him find a coach that will in fact coach.


No comments:

Post a Comment